Google+ (Plus) Tips for Attorneys and Law Firms
Please note: Legal Web Design assists with the setup and management of Google+ pages, but does not have a servicemark or trademark affiliation with the Google+ brand or any other Google owned trademark.
In the past few years, social media marketing has become more important to lawyers, especially those looking to gather new clients from their attorney websites. But while Facebook and Twitter were the first social sites to be treated seriously by businesses, Google+ has rapidly earned a place in the market.
Some of the quick growth associated with Google+ (sometimes referred to as Google Plus or simply G+) can certainly be attributed to name recognition. Google isn't just the world's most popular search engine, it's also the most frequently used website on the Internet, and the owner of YouTube and the Android mobile platform. That means that the company has hundreds of millions of happy users – that it can (and has) used to establish a leading position.
At the same time, however, Google+ in some ways represents the best of Twitter, Facebook, and other social sites. That's because it doesn't just allow for networks, social circles, and quick news feed/status updates, but gives you the opportunity to use all of them in a more seamless, straightforward way.
So what does Google+ mean for lawyers and their online marketing strategies? In a word: opportunity. To make the most of it, you just have to know the best ways to integrate G+ into your attorney website marketing strategy.
Here are a few quick tips to help you get started:
1. Setup a Google+ profile today. Although it shouldn't be surprising, given the company's past successes, Google+ is currently registering tens of millions of new users every month. That means that there isn't time to waste, especially if you want to get a leg up on your competitors.
2. Emphasize accuracy, reputation, and professionalism. The same rules you would use to market your legal practice elsewhere apply on Google+, as well. First, make sure that the information listed about your firm is accurate. Then, write descriptions and other content that emphasize your reputation and professionalism within the field.
3. Look for local clients first. Google+ recently "absorbed" Google Places, meaning it's now the top resource for finding local clients. It's more powerful than the Yellow Pages ever were, and a lot less expensive, so ensure that local clients can find your legal practice before worrying about anything else.
4. Build a network that brings in business. The more you are connected with previous clients, other professionals, and even other lawyers in your area (so long as they aren’t direct competitors), the more powerful your Google+ profile is. As with Facebook and Twitter, it's all about making the right connections.
5. Make Google+ a part of your long-term attorney website marketing strategy. Like anything else, it's going to take a bit of time to market your legal practice through Google+. But, if you can commit to making updates, adding content, and following up on requests (or having an online marketing team do it for you), then you're bound to see the right long-term results.
Please note that Legal Web Design's brand is not affiliated with Google+, if you need help working with Google+, designing an attorney website, or just putting together a high-ROI legal Internet marketing strategy, contact the team legal web design today – we'll explain everything you need to know and show you the best ways to get started.